From: Ellen Rogalin, Clackamas County Department of Transportation & Development, 503-353-4274 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Media and Interested Parties
Clackamas County renames Sandy Transfer Station; adjusts fees
The Clackamas County Board of County Commissioners has approved a name change and adjusted fee structure for the Sandy Transfer Station. Beginning June 1, 2005, the Sandy Transfer Station will be renamed the Clackamas County Garbage & Recycling Transfer Station.
To respond to the needs of today’s citizens and help cover operating costs, Clackamas County is adjusting public fees for the first time since 1994 and will begin accepting refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and other Freon-containing appliances for recycling. The County is also increasing the franchise fee from the transfer station operator, Waste Management of Oregon to five percent of the gross revenues for the direct delivery of waste. The funds from this fee will be used for facility upkeep.
Beginning June 1, 2005, the following fees will be in effect.
- $4 per can, with a minimum of $12 per load; $4 fee per additional can for customers with more than three cans
- $21 minimum fee for heavy loads (roofing, drywall, carpet, mixed construction debris, etc.) per one-half cubic yard or less (one to three cans); $7 fee per additional can for customers with more than three cans.
- Minimum fees noted above ($12 per load or $21 per heavy load) will not apply to customers who only bring recyclable material.
- Minimum fees noted above will not apply to customers who only bring tires; there will be a fee for each tire.
- $17 fee per cubic yard for household garbage; customers who bring furniture and mattresses will pay the $12 minimum fee for smaller items and the standard fee for larger items
- After a 60-day warning period, an addition $10 will be charged for uncovered, non-secured loads. This fee is designed to minimize inadvertent roadside litter; the funds will be used for the county’s roadside litter clean-up programs.- $20 per appliance for refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and other Freon-containing appliances, regardless of whether Freon is present.
The transfer station is located approximately 1.5 miles east of Sandy off Highway 26. It is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday through Monday. The garbage delivered to the transfer station is consolidated and sent to an approved landfill for disposal. Recyclables are delivered to appropriate processing facilities for marketing.
For more details about the fees and services at the transfer station, call Clackamas County Waste Reduction Specialist Sherri Dow at 503-353-4463.
For more information, contact Rick Winterhalter in the Clackamas County Community Environment Division at 503-353-4466.